Sunday, February 22, 2015

Author Says/I Say

Text Citation or Link
Rationale for Choosing
Text Frame(s)
Strategies Used and Resource


Engagement Example

This article can be used as a means to explore different viewpoints and supporting evidence.

The article provides vocabulary and terms related to Biology.

This article covers an example of the Scientific Method for the students.
Proposition/Support

Vocabulary/Definition

Concept/definition
Author says/I say (Buehl)

The author says/I say strategy is a method to incorporate the reader’s internal monologue with the article. In this case, comparing the author’s viewpoint towards artificial sweeteners and the reader’s views or experiences with artificial sweeteners. This strategy allows the reader to acknowledge what the author is stating while finding common ground with the reader’s own thoughts. This is incorporating the transactional theory of reading, which involves the reader using personal experience to help understand a text.
I would use this strategy by first having a review of the Scientific Method where students are asked to write down the steps of the Scientific Method down and then identify aspects in the article that fit each step as a warm up. This will be both to review of the Scientific Method and its steps while also act as a preview of the article for the students. After the warm up I will pass out blank templates of Author Says/I Say for the students to fill out. We will come up an example “I wonder” question together as a class. I will model what kind of questions I am looking for and how to come up with the questions based on my thought process.
With this article, I will think out loud by saying, “This article is about artificial sweeteners and our gut microbes based upon the title. After reading the few paragraphs I’m being introduced to the background information for the research. This makes me wonder what is the difference between natural and artificial sweeteners so I will write that in under the “I wonder” category. Now I will look at what the author says the two types of sweeteners are in the text. I see that the author says artificial sweeteners are non-caloric alternatives to natural sweeteners that still provide similar taste so this goes under the “The author says” category. Next I will fill out the “I say” category with what I thought artificial sweeteners are and then finally I will make a conclusion in the “And so” category based upon what the author said and what I said. I thought artificial sweeteners had a different taste to them, but I never personally had them myself to know for sure so I would write that under “I say.” My conclusion for the “And so” category would be that I think the author is saying the general public thinks that there is no downside to them and that the only difference is that artificial sweeteners have no calories with the same taste as natural sweeteners.”
Once I finish modeling how to approach the text with the chart I will let them start reading and completing the chart on their own. Then to expose students to other thoughts and ideas, I will have them share with a partner what things they wrote down for each category. If time permits, then I will divide the class into two sides. Finally, I will have them write an exit ticket summarizing what they wrote down in their Author Says/I Say chart. This exit ticket is for me to check their understanding and look at their different viewpoints/knowledge on the topic. The further expand on this topic I will have the students do additional research at home at the pros and cons of artificial sweeteners in order to do a debate next class where they have to use a text to support any claims they make.
I like this strategy because it makes it easy to integrate my own personal thoughts and ideas with the author’s ideas. By having the students create “I wonder” questions while they are reading it makes them slow down and think about what they are reading rather than speeding through it. If something confuses them they can examine it then and there rather than taking note of it and then moving on before going back. You can also modify this strategy for your needs by providing the “I wonder” questions for lower level students or by creating an additional chart for “My partner says” among others. It is versatile enough to be adapted to different levels and abilities.

Example Author Says/I Say
I wonder…
The author says…
I say…
And so…
What is the difference between natural and artificial sweeteners?
Artificial sweeteners are non-caloric alternatives to natural sweeteners that still provide similar taste.
I thought artificial sweeteners had a different taste to them, but I never personally had them myself to know for sure
I think the author is saying the general public thinks that there is no downside to them and that the only difference is that artificial sweeteners have no calories with the same taste as natural sweeteners.








References
Buehl, D., (2014) Classroom Strategies for Interactive Learning, 4th ed. International Reading Association.
Ornes, Stephen (2014). Artificial sweeteners may evict good gut microbes. Science News for Students. Retrieved from https://student.societyforscience.org/article/young-blood-elixir-youth


No comments:

Post a Comment