Sunday, April 19, 2015

Webquest

Webquest: http://www.biologyjunction.com/cell_exploration_webquest.htm

I would use this webquest in a Regular Biology class where the students need it very simplified with illustrations.

I completed this webquest on cells myself and found some positives and negatives about this webquest. One negative I found was that instructions could be more clearer so that there is no confusion. For example, when the webquest asks the students to look at a plant cell, it doesn't specify where to go specifically. I had to look around the linked website myself to figure out where to go. If I could make edits I would specifically write out where to go. By making things easier for the students they can focus more on the learning rather than just trying to find the information. Also it will help students who get distracted easily who may get lost in the abundance of information as they try to find out where to go. I was able to figure it out after thinking about where the webquest wanted me to go, but students may not.

A positive thing about this webquest that students will find helpful is the animation and graphics accompanying the information. It really grabs their attention, which can help keep them focused on the information. Also providing the tables already for students to just fill in helps organize the information for them. All the information the students will need will then be in one place for them to study from. The quiz at the end of the webquest is also great because it checks the understanding of the students.

Overall I like this webquest, but before I use it myself for a class I would change some of the links that aren't linking correctly and to also add more specific instructions to clear up any confusion. I would also make sure to include a rubric or point breakdown so that students know how they are being graded on the webquest.

4 comments:

  1. One of the problems I had with the webquest I completed was that the instructions were a little too vague for my liking. I thought that this might be so that the teacher could fill in their own more specific instructions. For example, in my webquest students are required to compare vehicles, but are not given a number of vehicles to compare. Should they just do 2? Should they do 20? Instead of thinking of this as a setback, I thought of it as an opportunity to differentiate the webquest. Lower students can compare fewer vehicles while more advanced students can compare a greater number. I'm not sure if it could work the same way with yours, but it's just an idea of how you could take something that seems like a negative and make it work for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that same issue, which is why if I were to use this I would include my own instructions that were more specific and clear. When students get confused and/or frustrated by assignments they tend to shut down so I want to avoid that.

      Delete
  2. Another suggestion would be for the teacher to write out an instruction guide and graphic organizer for students to complete the webquest. This allows the teacher to guide the students through WebQuest activities that are extremely vague and for the teacher to control what aspects of the WebQuest activity they deem most important for the students to learn and follow more of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this webquest because it was simple. I was never the best with biology so the way it was worded was helpful. The hyperlinks really were not that helpful as you pointed out. I think it would have been better if they directly took you to what they were supposed to be showing.

    ReplyDelete